As a Legacy Videographer I love interviewing people about their family history and discovering what names they called their grandparents and great-grandparents. Not surprisingly, as everyone came from another country, the grandparent names strongly reflected their heritage.
Below are a few of the names I learned along the way and many others I had to look up. Do you know what names your parents called their grandparents and great grandparents?
~ Grandparent Names ~
- Nonna & Nonno – Italian
- Oma & Opa – German
- Maimeó & Daideó – Ireland
- Abuela & Abuelo – Spanish
- Nana and Nani – India (Maternal Grandparents)
- Dada and Dadi – India (Paternal Grandparents)
- Baba & Gigi – Ukrainian
- Babcia & Dziadek – Polish
- Busia & Dziadzia – Polish
- Mormor & Morfar – Swedish (Maternal Grandparents)
- Farfar and Farmor – Swedish (Maternal Grandparents)
- Babushka & Dedushka – Russian
- Savta & Saba – Hebrew
- Bubbie & Zadie – Yiddish
- Grand-mere and Grand-pere – French
- Memere & Pepere – French Cajun
- Geema & Geepa – Flemish
- Bomma & Bonpa – Flemish
- Pepee or Petje – Flanders
- Pake and Beppe – Friesland
- Amma & Afi – Iceland
- Yaya & Pappoús – Greek
- Lao Lao or Wài pó & Lao Ye or Wài Gōng – Chinese (Maternal Grandparents)
- Nǎi Nǎi & Yé Yé or Zu Fu – Chinese (Paternal Grandparents)
- Oma & Opa – Dutch
- Lola & Lolo – Filipino
- Ouma & Oupa – South African
What do or did you call your grandparents and great-grandparents? If you’re a grandparent, what names do your grandchildren call you? Post in comment section below and I’ll add it to the list of grandparent names!
Want to learn more about your parent or grandparents life story and your family history? Visit my post: ‘Legacy Questions’.
~ Legacy Videos ~
Give your parent or grandparent the gift of a lifetime by capturing their life story for your family to know and celebrate!
Here at Family Line Video we produce Legacy Videos, modern-day memoirs that weave a filmed interview together with family photos, documents, maps and other memorabilia. The result is a beautiful “moving portrait” capturing your loved one as they recount their life story and memories – a gift your family will treasure for generations to come.
To learn more about giving the gift of a Legacy Video, visit FamilyLineVideo.com.
Family Line Video, LLC
Legacy Video Production
Capturing Life Stories and Family History
in Video Memoirs
~ The Gift of a Lifetime ~
Video Biographies ~ Family History Videos ~ Video Memoirs
Life Story Videos ~ 50th Anniversary Videos
Family Documentaries ~ Family Tree Videos
~ Grandparent Names ~