As a Legacy Videographer I love discovering what names my older clients called their grandparents and great-grandparents. Not surprisingly, as every family can trace their lineage to another country, many of the grandparent names reflect their heritage.
Below are a few of the names for Grandma and Grandpa I came across and many others I had to look up. Do you know what names did your parents called their grandparents and great-grandparents?
~ Grandparent Names ~
- Nonna & Nonno – Italian
- Oma & Opa – German
- Maimeó & Daideó – Ireland
- Abuela & Abuelo – Spanish
- Nana and Nani – India (Maternal Grandparents)
- Dada and Dadi – India (Paternal Grandparents)
- Baba & Gigi – Ukrainian
- Babcia & Dziadek – Polish
- Busia & Dziadzia – Polish
- Mormor & Morfar – Swedish (Maternal Grandparents)
- Farfar and Farmor – Swedish (Maternal Grandparents)
- Babushka & Dedushka – Russian
- Savta & Saba – Hebrew
- Bubbie & Zadie – Yiddish
- Grand-mere and Grand-pere – French
- Memere & Pepere – French Cajun
- Geema & Geepa – Flemish
- Bomma & Bonpa – Flemish
- Pepee or Petje – Flanders
- Pake and Beppe – Friesland
- Amma & Afi – Iceland
- Yaya & Pappoús – Greek
- Lao Lao or Wài pó & Lao Ye or Wài Gōng – Chinese (Maternal Grandparents)
- Nǎi Nǎi & Yé Yé or Zu Fu – Chinese (Paternal Grandparents)
- Oma & Opa – Dutch
- Lola & Lolo – Filipino
- Ouma & Oupa – South African
What names did (or do) you call your grandparents and great-grandparents?
If you are a grandparent, what names do your grandchildren call you?
Let us know in the comment section below!
~ Legacy Videos ~
Give your parent or grandparent the gift of a lifetime by capturing their life story, family history and memories in a video memoir.
Here at Family Line Video we produce Legacy Videos, modern-day memoirs that weave a filmed interview together with family photos, documents, maps and other memorabilia. The result is a beautiful Moving Portrait” capturing your loved one as they recount their life story and memories – a gift your family will treasure for generations to come.
To learn more about giving the gift of a Legacy Video, visit us at FamilyLineVideo.com.
Family Line Video, LLC
Legacy Video Production
Legacy Video Producer
Capturing Life Stories and Family History
in Video Memoirs
~ The Gift of a Lifetime ~
Family Line Video
Video Biographies ~ Video Memoir ~ Family History Video
Family Tree Videos ~ 50th Anniversary Videos
Video Scrapbooks ~ Heirloom Videos
~ Grandparent Names ~